Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Summer is dwindling in days but escalating in heat...

Today, National Airport had a high of 102 and us Washingtonians were told to remain inside. Yes, this is a sign that summer is just about over for me. I have less than two weeks until I "report back to duty". It has been a great summer, full of adventures (and not of wedding planning--Oops!).

After Andrew and I left the family in the peaceful Poconos, we (with the help of Uncle Irv's and Aunt Charlotte's GPS) drove into NYC. I had a bit of culture shock at first, wincing when I realized that in order to drive in NYC you need to focus on at least four variables: cars going forward, cars reversing, bikers and walkers. I gripped the handle in the car until my knuckles turned white and Andrew maneuvered fantastically...except when the GPS led us down a one way street in Brooklyn the wrong way.

We were treated to lots of fun in NYC, including Vietnamese sandwiches in Brooklyn and lots of fashion talk between Andrew and Elizabeth. We also had a great brunch in Brooklyn.

The wedding was beautiful. It was overlooking the Hudson. The groom cried. They wrote their own vows and this gave Andrew the idea that he wanted us to write our own vows.

After this, Andrew and I parted ways and I headed up to Providence , RI to study Culinary Nutrition. I was that student in class that everyone hated because I was so interested in everything the teacher had to say. I came to class early, bringing treats to my professors and took an amazing amount of notes. I learned about quinoa and made a great tabuloi from it. We also talked about flax seed, spelt wheat, and the importance of eating locally grown food.

Andrew joined me on Friday and we had a weekend of fun in the North East. We went to the beach, visited the town of Mystic and yes, we drove and, drove all the way home. We finished listening to "Garlic and Sapphires" which made me think about how your appearance changes the way people think about you.

My last adventure of the summer was going to Garrett County (Western Maryland) to do a Habitat for Humanity Project with 12 students from my high school and another chaperon. I was the least skilled worker out there. I learned how to do siding, build a deck, install insulation, shovel, use a drill gun, use a staple gun and what a crawl space was. The people we built a home for lived in a garage before, without indoor plumbing. I will never call myself a poor teacher again.

Our next big adventure will be to Berlin and we can't wait.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home