Monday, August 28, 2006

Aachen

I've just returned from a wonderful (wonderbar!) week at the World Equestrian Games in Aachen, Germany. I have never been in the midst of so many equestrian enthusiasts. The two photos that follow show the crowds in the stands on the final night of the dressage competition which featured the top 15 riders in the world. On the several days that I attended the competition, I sat with a couple from Germany, a woman from Holland with her elderly mother, a Dutch horse breeder who was also a dentist, a couple from Perth, Australia and a woman from Finland who will soon move to NYC (I was able to suggest some barns for her to look at for her horse!). Fortunately, they all spoke perfect English. I really tried with the little German I know, but every time I said something auf Deutsch, I was answered in English!

crowds in the stands

crowds in the stands

The town of Aachen was decorated with many horse-themed things, including the articulated busses and the articulated bus horse!

articulated bus

bus horse

Of course, there was the dom, with doors and the earliest part dating from the year 800.

cathedral

But my favorite sight was the wurst trash can, pictured here with me (and my umbrella). You deposit your trash at the red arrow that is on the underside of the left end of the wurst!

Barbara and the wurst

2 Comments:

Blogger mombar said...

Sadly, my friend's horse was lame and was not able to compete. He stayed in Dortmund where he had been training for several weeks.

The horses in the yellow outfits where the gold medal winners. They wore them for the medal ceremonies (riders went onto the podium, horses waited at the side!) and for the victory lap.

Yes, Aachen was lovely, green, and cool (it was good I had two jackets--I wore them both at the same time on the coolest day!), but also damp.

8:14 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

The cross-country event looks like a miniature golf course, what with those windmills. Very fun pictures!

5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home