Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Why do I do this to myself?

I hate running. It is boring, monotonous, and slow (well, I guess I am slow, but I will blame it on running). It is telling that my two favorite sports to play (skiing and golf) involve no running. And in team sports, one (kickball) involves almost no running or athletic ability and when I do play soccer, my chosen position is goalie. My favorite exercise is weight lifting. I don't even run to catch the metro.

Last year the family will remember that I signed up to run the Army Ten Miler. Luckily, Mom hosted her birthday party OU/Texas weekend, and I did not have to run. Instead, I ran the Marine Corp 10K with much fanfare. My brother urged and urged me to run this year but I said no. A sense of guilt and failure settled over me until the dam broke this morning.

I am announcing that I am running the Army Ten Miler this year. I actually feel a little excited and it will compliment my renewed efforts at the gym. I will be investing in a new pair of shoes and start my training this week. I plan to run one day and go to the gym then next. I will take a rest day after I do my leg workout at the gym because it leaves me too sore to run (or climb escalators in the metro). I will continue to do a little bike ride at the gym, but my main cardio workout will now be running.

I will now relate a quick kickball story and a reason why Deborah is so good for my life and my self confidence. Last night we had our first victory (we are 1-2). I was playing first base (because it involves no running). There was a short bunt and our catcher sprinted out and snatched the ball out of the air and I was johnny on the spot at first. He tossed me the ball for a brilliant double play to end the inning. Everyone was applauding Kanan's effort and telling him good job. Deborah piped up from the sideline, "Don't forget Andrew, he did a good job, too." See?

1 Comments:

Blogger Agent Deborah said...

Way to go, Andrew. I am jealous that you have the knees and the desire to run a 10 miler. I hope it doesn't interfer with wedding planning...

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home